GEORGIA PHOTOGRAPHIC COMPETITION 2021 RULES
The purpose of this competition is to allow photographers to enter digital files and digital albums to be judged against a standard of excellence using the 12 Elements of a Merit Image. As of 2020 we have adjusted our categories to align with PPA's IPC categories. Through this competition, GPPA members are also eligible to achieve GPPA exhibition merits. Non-members and Out-of-State Members may compete as well, but are not eligible for GPPA Member Awards.
These rules pertain to images entered as digital files captured either by film and transfered electronically or created with a digital camera or scanner:
1. All entries must be registered at www.printcompetition.com. For first time entrants, click on the new artist registration tab and fill out the info required. Pick GPPA and Register. Please read the entry form carefully and answer all required questions.
2. Entrants may only submit digital files for judging this year, due to Covid-19 all judging will be done remotely.
3. Entrants are required to upload a digital file for each image entered.
4. No changes to your entry are permitted once the entry deadline has passed. No refunds will be issued after the entry
Registration Opens: May 1, 2021. Register at www.printcompetition.com
Registration Ends: 1:00 am July 4, 2021.
No Late Registration This Year
This contest is open to all photographers. You Do Not need to be a member of GPPA to participate.
1. Entrant must have captured and created the original exposure.
2. All processing, manipulation, and printing or rendering, were done by the entrant or under their direct supervision.
3. The entrant has obtained and has access to all necessary releases (model or property) and agrees to hold GPPA harmless against all claims and liabilities arising out of GPPA's display, publication and promotion, or other use of each image submitted to GPPA.
4. The entrant’s name SHALL NOT appear anywhere in or on the face of the entry.
5. A maximum of eight (8) entries may be submitted per entrant.
6. No entry will be eligible that has been made under the supervision of an instructor or as a class assignment.
7. No two entries shall be of the same subject.
8. Entry media includes digital files and digital albums.
9. Once an image has been awarded an exhibition merit (80+) in any category of GPPA’s Georgia Photographic Competition, it may not be entered again in any other category, at any time, by any entrant. No image that receives a merit may be entered more than once under any condition, including any image from a merited album.
You must designate one of the below categories for each entry.
Portrait - General
This sub-category includes families, groups, couples and adults (18 and older), relationships, models and fashion portraits & artistic figure studies.
Portrait - Child
This sub-category must contain a child or children from birth up to age 11 .
Portrait - Senior & Teens
This sub-category portrays a male or female age 12 to 18
Portrait - Pets & Animals
This sub-category captures an animal(s) portrait using structured lighting in a studio or outdoor environment, where the animal is controlled by the owner or photographer. **Wildlife not posed under the photographers direction is not accepted in this category**
Illustrative - Commercial
Illustrative - Fine Art / Digital Painting
Illustrative - Landscape/Nature/Wildlife
Illustrative - Sports / Photojournalism
1. Files must be sized so the longest dimension is 4000 pixels. For example, in Photoshop, go to Image/Image Size and change the inches to pixels and type in 4000 on the longest dimension. Make sure your resolution is minimum of 200.
2. Each file must contain an embedded color profile of either sRGB or Adobe RGB1998 and must be saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10. In most cases, total file size should not exceed 3.5 MB. Larger files may be accepted when necessary so long are they are saved with the setting of JPEG/10.
3. Files are to be named, Image_Title (use _ for spaces, e.g. See_Spot_Run.jpg). DO NOT include the maker name in the title of the file.
DIGITAL ALBUM ENTRY
1. All page/spread files must have the longest file dimension at 4000 pixels, have an embedded color profile of either sRGB or Adobe RGB1998 and saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10. (See Digital Entries for clarification.)
2. Each page/spread file may contain as many images as you desire.
3. An entry shall contain a minimum of 5 page/spread files up to 36 page/spread files.
4. Files are to be numbered in viewing order using two digits, i.e. 01 jpg, 02 jpg, 03 jpg, etc.
5. All individual files must be compressed into a single ZIP file. ZIP file must be named: Album_Title (use _ for spaces, e.g. Summer_Wedding.zip)
6. Studio identification or entrant’s name cannot appear on any file within the album entry.
DEADLINES & FEES
Please review thoroughly! Failure to comply with these rules may result in disqualification of entry. The decision of the GPPA Georgia Photographic Competition Committee is final.
All images will be judged and given a numerical score. Images can receive scores up to 100 points, dependent on how they meet the 12 Elements of a Merit Image. Images that receive a score of an 80 or above will be awarded a GPPA merit. All 80 and above scored images from each category will be reviewed and a First Place designation and two Distinguished Award designations will be given.
See what scores mean:
100 – 95: Exceptional
94 – 90: Superior
89 – 85: Excellent
84 – 80: Deserving of a Merit
79 – 75: Above Average
74 – 70: Average
69 – 65: Below Exhibition Standards